This year I attempted my first Inktober challenge! As expected, I didn’t get all the way through, but I had a lot of fun with it. I used @camillereck’s prompt list which was a “build your own adventure” type of deal.
Jiji is a character I created for a D&D campaign I used to play. Unfortunately those sessions no longer run, but I just had so much fun with Jiji I decided to use her as the subject of this challenge.
For materials, I decided it was easiest to draw in my sketchbook and use my black fineliners. I didn’t want it to be completely black and white, so I tried my best to use gold acrylic ink (with a dip pen) to add some accents and make the images pop since they were so simple!
Hope you enjoy the following photos!
- Your Adventurer: Jiji is a cheeky forest gnome wizard who loves to play tricks on people 🤭 She’s adventurous, a trickster and loves to meddle 😂
2. Their Companion/Pet: Jiji’s travelling buddy is even smaller than she is – an adorable little mouse that likes to join her on her adventures 🐁
3. Their Home/Room: Like most forest gnomes, Jiji lives in secrecy within the forest! Her abode consists of a hollowed out tree trunk, and although it looks small, it provides her and Jewel with enough room to live comfortably. Jiji has many treasures which she stores in chests. 🌳🏆💰⠀
4. Their Favourite Food: Jiji has a big sweet tooth. She loves cake, especially ones topped with juicy berries. 🍓🍰⠀
5. Family Member: Lulu is Jiji’s stubborn younger sister. She is brave and bold, unafraid to let people know what’s on her mind! 💐 Her and Jiji don’t always get along, but they love each other to bits.
6. Long Kept Secret: Jiji has a long golden mane that she styles into two pointed horns at the top of her head. She is also a collector – Jiji is attracted to shiny trinkets and gold which she hoards like treasure.
7. Enchanted Helper: Jiji’s favourite spell from her spellbook is Mage Hand. Jiji uses it daily when she’s feeling too lazy to do her chores properly 👋 it’s a very useful spell!!
8. Leaving Home: Jiji walked through the ever familiar forest pathway. She had been down this trail millions of times before, but this time was different. This time, she wasn’t sure if she was coming back. As she passed the hidden homes of the forest gnomes – her friends and family, her heart raced and jumped with excitement at the thought of adventure. ⠀
9. What’s in Their Bag: It’s amazing how much a small forest gnome can carry..
10. (actually day 11) Forest Creatures: Jiji is one with the forest – her home since birth. Jiji’s strong connection with nature means that the little beasts of the forest can immediately sense her as a friend.
And there we have it! My first attempt at Inktober. Granted, Jiji never really made it out of the forest, but I had a fun experience and thoroughly enjoyed coming up with all these drawings. The biggest challenge of Inktober came from finding time to draw everyday, and overcoming the struggle of “perfectionism” in each drawing. There are a lot of little mistakes and inaccuracies in my art and I think partaking in this challenge has helped me in accepting that not everything I make will be perfect!
For more of my artistic endeavors, you can follow me @alittlecheep